Sunday 26 November 2017

Waitrose All Butter Mince Pies



'Waitrose All Butter Mince Pies'

Hello again fellow pie lovers / stalkers. I'd just like to say a big thanks for those of you out there reading my reviews, hoping once day, to come across the perfect pie. The quest is far from over!

Vendor: Waitrose
Price: £2.50
Pack size: 6



First impression: Waitrose, as we all know, has amazing goodies on offer. Christmas is no exception. Picking up these pies (at £2.50) felt amazing. I had got a few other treats in my basket, but these were the most important. No imagery outside of the box, however, once inside I was not disappointed. These pies looked amazing! -1 point for the Granulated sugar though! Grrr! (4/5) 




Pastry: It was all going well until....! Now it tastes great (how can pastry taste good, I hear your ask) I don't know how to describe what I mean, it does taste buttery and of good quality. But the texture was Jank! Once in my mouth it just seemed to be biscuit like and hard. The top of the pie was more like a disc of shortbread. I had high hopes but there were smashed by an uncomfortable eating experience. (1.5/5)



Filling: There is light at the end of the tunnel. This mincemeat tasted blooming marvellous. Loads of bursts of currents, raisins, cherries, sultanas with hints of apricot, balanced with the right amount of citrus and spice. And best of all... BRANDY! If only you could have seen my face. I actually ended up eating 3 pies in one go. Now that's a first!  My only issue is that there was quite a large gap between the filling and the pie lid... for £2.50 I expected it to be FULL to the brim of this lush mince meat. Oh well, thats about as good as it gets I suppose.   (4.5/5)


Rating overall: Upper-tier level of pies here. If you frequent Waitrose be sure to pick up a pack. If not... there's a pie for you out there somewhere!

Total score (11 / 15) 





No comments:

Post a Comment