Saturday 4 November 2017

Tesco Iced Top Mince Pies



'Tesco Iced Top Mince Pies'

I'm going to tackle this issue head on. There is great debate amongst the Mince Pie community regarding whether or not icing on top of pies should be allowed. Some Mince Pie purists scorn the idea of having frosting atop their beloved treats. Now contrary to what you may think, I am not a religious mince pie purist! ITS 2017 PEOPLE! WAKE UP! I am a firm preacher that we should all #MakePiesGreatAgain by not building walls.... we should be eating pies! Rant over.

Onwards to the most important part of my quest. Eating dat pie.

Vendor:Tescos
Price: On offer currently for £1
Pack size: 6



First impression: These pies were brought to my attention on a very attractive POS (point of sale) in Tescos during my shopping trip.  For £1 for a box of 6, one cannot go wrong. "I MUST GET THESE PIES" I though to myself, as I forgot what I actually came shopping for... Lovely box followed by a lovely reveal once I got into the pies. One or two had been bashed a bit, but I suspect that was my own doing as I am very poor at bag packing. (4/5) 



Pastry: As you can see by my universal pie measurement system above, the pies were quite small. I'd call them snack size. Total weight fo 57g per pie. The pastry was alright actually, every crumbly indeed (note to self: don't eat over your laptop) and did break up a fair bit once a bite had been taken. Tasted great though and there was a good amount of it considering the size of the pie.  (3/5) 

Filling: Now then. After a long ponder (and 3 pies) to decided if I should add and extra section for the topping. I decided to include it here in the filling. Now, the icing was great. It added just the right level of sweetness and its smooth skill texture worked well with the crumbly texture of the pastry. However, the filling (or lack of it) seemed to get lost underneath the cornucopia of icing. The mincemeat I did get to taste was pretty good. Definite hit of mixed peel and plenty citrus burst that cut through the icing. Not much fruit (I like mine chunky) I NEED MORE FRUIT!  (2.5/5)





Rating overall: If you are a mince pie purist, stay away! If you are normal, get these pies. They are pretty dammnn good. Went very well with a cuppa cha. Grab them while they're only £1!


Total score (10.5 / 15) 







No comments:

Post a Comment