Wednesday 1 November 2017

Gluten Free Mince Pies



'We Love Cake' Gluten Free Mince Pies

November is finally here... which means its practically Christmas! Now that Halloween has been and gone, retailers turn their focus off of spook and onto Santa. Christmas for me means: FOOD. Christmas dinner, Christmas Bake... AND MINCE PIES!

So without further-ado, here is the the first of this years #SlacksPieReviews

Vendor: We Love Cake [available in most shops]
Price: £1.79
Pack size: 4


First impression: Cute box. Packaging isn't very 'Christmassy'. Tells you exactly what it is... Gluten Free AND suitable for Veggies and Vegans. Pies were small (see measurement in picture below) with a net weight of 55g per pie. (2/5)




Pastry: I went into this knowing fine well that because of it's gluten-free credentials, I was not going to be in for the crumbly, buttery, flakey pastry that one has become so accustom too. Upon scoffing the pie my worst fears were realised. The pastry was indeed dry and almost biscuit like. It was almost stale and had a very chalky texture. The caster sugar onto just about made it bearable. (0.5/5)


Filling: Hoping to not judge a pie by it's skin, I sunk into the mincemeat. I really hoped that the filling would save the pie and add some much needed moisture onto my palate. Oh how I was wrong. Don't get me wrong it wasn't a dry filling... but it wasn't wet either. It was just there. The fruit was chewy and the filling was overly sweet. I don't need this much sugar, im sweet enough already! Not a big fan of the favour either, no real presence of spices. (1/5)


Rating overall: If you are a gluten free vegan, these are the pies for you. If you're not, they're not the pies for you.


Total score (3.5/15)








No comments:

Post a Comment