Thursday 1 December 2016

Huntley & Palmers: Deep Filled Luxuary Mince Pies

Well.... This is it! The start of my festive journey to scoff as many different types of sweet mince pies to determine the ultimate Christmas treat. Let's get to it!


Huntley & Palmers: Deep Filled Luxury Mince Pies


I picked these up at the local corner shop. (Not exactly Fortnum and Masons, I know) but nonetheless I do not want to discriminate against any vendor in my quest to seek the ultimate pie. #alllpiesmatter



Cheap box, cheap pies

Vendor: Premier
Price: £1.69
Pack size: 6

First impression: Lightly done with some visualised sugar crystals dusted over the top. Just over an inch deep (1.1') with a nice rounded crust.


Small in diameter 

Pastry: Nothing special. Quite hard and definitely not crumbly. Sugar cystsls do get left in the mouth (I prefer powdered sugar) (4/10)

Filling: Not completely full (like a packet of walkers) and a fairly smooth/soft mincemeat. Nice small chunks. No hint of any booze and very very sweet. Not very rich. I did need a large gulp of tea to help this one down. Lacking in overall flavour probably due to a "young" mincemeat mix. (5/10)


Filled with air?

Rating overall: Not a bad start. It's the kind of pie you'd bring out when your least favourite relatives are round for a cuppa. (9/20)



No comments:

Post a Comment